Meandering thoughts about pedal powered living…

...

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Summer Update!

Wow, it has been a while since I posted on here! The good news is that I haven’t been posting, because I have been outside riding my bicycle a lot! To get all of my faithful readers up to speed on the latest happenings in the bicycle riding life of Elliot here are some bullet points from the past couple of months:
  • My Bicycle got a new front rack! I switched out the Tubus Tara rack and put on the Surly Nice Front Rack. The big benefits of this change included the light mounting bracket on the front of the rack, and the useable top shelf.
  • I decided to build a new trailer using the parts from the old one. It is awesome, and huge. Full trailer update to follow.
  • My work responsibilities have shifted to include a second location. This means I now have a 51 mile round-trip commute that I have to make once a week. I was able to find a route, but it isn’t a whole lot of fun to get there. Lots of high traffic roads with 18 wheelers and angry mini-vans. Fortunately there is also a bus route that I will be able to use in the winter…hey, everyone has their limits.
  • I am well on my way to hitting the 10,000 mile mark this year. As of this post my bicycle and I are just tipping the 7600 mile mark. Amazingly, we are still on the original set of tubes. That’s right, 7600+ miles…no flat tires.
  • I was able to make it through the busy summer season without having to use my car for work. This meant hauling over 250lbs of stuff on the trailer at times. The longest I had to haul that load was 35 miles.
  • BP dumped a lot of oil into the Gulf of Mexico, furthering my decent into anti-car fanaticism.
  • I was able to tag along with my wife Amanda on a trip to Portland Or. Portland is known for it’s bicycle culture, so I couldn’t resist the opportunity to ride out there. Bottom line…AMAZING. Details to follow.

    I am sure that more has happened, but those are some of the highlights. As the summer starts to slow down a little bit, I hope to get more of my stories posted up here! Thanks and happy riding out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment