Meandering thoughts about pedal powered living…

...

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Why education is so important...

So...this morning, as I was walking my wife to the train station, I noticed this bicycle…
I had to laugh...
In theory, the lock would prevent someone from just hopping on the bike and riding off. But this is a terrible way to "lock" your bicycle. It is stuff like this that reminds me why teaching bicycle skills to people is so important. The bicycle pictured above is the type that is commonly available at big box stores. In many cases, bikes like these are owned and operated by people who don't have any other means of transportation. If this bike was stolen, It could leave someone stranded. In many situations, a bicycle is the only means for getting to work or getting to a doctor's appointment, getting to school or even just getting grocery's. For some people, a bicycle is a critical part of daily life, and if that bike gets stolen it can be very hard to recover.
If you are reading this and don't know how to lock your bicycle, I will gladly teach you. Give me an email!

No comments:

Post a Comment